Tuesday 3 May 2011

Hair loss..

Have any of you ever suffered from hair loss?

For the past couple of months I've noticed after brushing my hair, drying it, straightening it I will get up and my bed is covered in my hair. Not just a little bit, quite a lot.

And then a couple of weeks ago I noticed it has gone very thin on my scalp and you can actually see my scalp a lot more than you used to, I've always had quite thick hair and I can tell how thin it is now. I don't over dye my hair, I don't use loads of heat on it and I haven't bleached my hair for about 7 months now.

I'm nearly 100% certain its down to stress. As you know I lost my nana at Christmas, which has knocked me and I still really struggle with that. Then we lost my husbands Gran very recently, which whilst she wasn't my gran its not nice to go through us both losing our grandparents so close together. I've been taking driving lessons, I had my test (the same day as my Husband's Gran's funeral! Not a good idea) and failed, but before it I was very worked up about it. But mostly its the fertility problems we've had that have caused me most stress, its been over 2 years since I had my ectopic pregnancy and I still can't get pregnant. In February we were told to start saving for IVF. Now IVF costs a lot of money (around £8000, you can do egg share to make it cheaper - around £1000 - but I'm not sure how I feel about donating my eggs), because we already have Alice we get no help, and my infertility is unexplained as there are no problems (only having one tube doesn't hinder fertility that much apparently). Anyway so I have spent the last few months completely stressed out about this which I know doesn't help but it's hard not to. It feels better writing it down and sharing with other people, especially because this will explain why my blogposts are so thin on the ground, I just have no motivation to blog with all of this going on.

If you've suffered from hair loss/hair thinning did you find anything helped it to stop falling out or to grow back? I'm very paranoid about it now its getting to summer and I like wearing some of my hair clipped back and when I do that you can clearly see my scalp.

7 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about your grandma. Stay strong :) I also tend to lose my hair due to stress and I began using hair loss shampoo. I did notice a small difference, but mostly I learned to try to deal with the stresses in my life a little bit better. Take care and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww you poor thing, you really have had a lot of stress to cope with. Have you tried going to the doctors about your hair loss? If it is that bad it may be a hormone imbalance that may be rectified with treatment.
    Hope things turn around for you, try and stay strong and good luck with trying to conceive xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah you poor love. You really have had some nasty stuff to contend with in a short space of time. I think you're probably right about stress affecting you. I pull chunks of my hair out when washing, brushing, drying etc and it seems to get EVERYWHERE over the house. My poor hoover hates me and I regularly have to cut tangles hair from the roller inside the hoover head. So in that respect, I wouldn't worry that you're losing some hair - most of us do and some more than others and it's normal to some degree.

    If you do feel you're losing more than usual, it might be worth a visit to the doctor as ScienceGeek suggests. They will undoubtedly have info on things you can try to remedy it or look at ways of lessening stress if that is the cause. They'll also be the best people to pin down the cause. If it were me, I think seeing a doctor would set my mind at rest and could potentially give me options to do something about it.

    Sorry - long comment! I definitely think see the doctor and let us know how you get on xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all!

    I have been trying to get a Dr's appointment for 2 weeks and they have nothing! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep bugging them! Can you not book the next available one even if it's in two weeks?

    I just found this today - no idea if it's helpful but it might be? :S

    http://blog.philipkingsley.com/2011/05/06/hair-fall-in-the-spring/

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I suffered from hair lost, but my main problem was that I straightened it too much. But one thing that helped me a lot and that maybe can help you too was taking Inneov Hair Mass. It's so surprisingly how it stopped falling that much.

    Also I've heard that the brewer's yeast is very good to stop hair loss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to comment on such an old post but I was noseying through your archives!

    I know you say that the infertility is unexplained/no official problems but I really think you should push for more testing. It sounds like such a classic case of a hormonal imbalance.

    x

    ReplyDelete